So, you are in love with fashion and makeup just like zillion other women around you. And, just like these women you try very hard to perfect your favourite model or actress’s look. However, for instance, the winged look that looks so incredible on Amy Winehouse doesn’t seem to work for you. Or, for instance, you rush to the salon wanting to perfect the “Rachel” hairstyle of Jennifer Aniston but somehow it doesn’t suit your face type. So in order to help you understand what makeup style actually suits you, we came across this infographic by Stylist Magazine that can do wonders for you. Below are some questions that women from worldwide have floundered with:
Which type of eyebrows suits my face type?
Well, this is a question that has plagued generations of women but somehow many of us cannot seem to perfect this. The ideal way to shape your eyebrows depends on your face type.
- Oval Face: You are a lucky woman! Most shapes would suit your face but ideally, go for a soft angled eyebrow shape.
- Long Face: Have flat eyebrows. The horizontal lines will nullify the vertical length of your face and thus, soften it.
- Round Face: Have a high arched eyebrow. This will add more definition to your face.
- Square Face: Start with a curved eyebrow and then begin to add more angle to balance. If you have a strong jawline, then ensure that your eyebrows are well peaked.
- Heart Face: Have a low arched eyebrow but add more volume to lengthen the forehead and neutralise the pointedness of your chin.
- Diamond Face: A curved eyebrow will neutralise and balance the widest part of your face, i.e, your temples.
While applying makeup which part of my face should I contour and which part should I highlight?
First, let’s explain what you’d need for contouring and highlighting. To highlight, use a foundation 2 shades lighter than your normal skin tone. For contouring, use a bronzer, but a non-shimmering one.
Portions to highlight:
- Highlight the bridge of your nose. This not only lightens your face but also sharpens your nose. Ensure to not highlight the tip of your nose.
- Highlight between your eyebrows. This is usually the place where a furrow is created.
- Highlight below the brows as this will add more arch to your eyebrows and will also brighten your eyes.
- Highlight your cheekbones to add more arch and angle to your cheeks.
- Highlight creases that create shadows such as in the nasal fold area.
Portions to contour:
- Contour on each side of your nose to make it appear sharper
- Contour the tip of your nose in a v shape to shorten the length of your nose
- Contour your jaw line to thin your face
- Contour along the hairline to shorten your forehead
What type of brush should I use?
- Oily Skin: Choose a powdered brush.
- Dry Skin/Normal Skin: Cream or liquid brush.
- For pale skin: Use pinks and corals.
- Medium skin tone: Use rose or apricot.
- Dark Skin: Use plum/red.
How should I consider my eye shape while applying eye makeup?
Well, like I said eye makeup can be very daunting at times. So, here are makeup tips for various eye types:
- Close set eyes: Use light colours on the inner corners. Use darker colours as you move out. This would take care of the width.
- Deep Set Eyes: Blend the colours, keeping the lighter colour inside and the darker outside. Go for light colours on the lid.
- Almond Eyes: You have the perfect eye shape, so experiment!
- Hooded Eyes: Using Matte colours will be the best for your type. Keep it simple and low key.
How do I perfect the Smokey eye look?
- Step 1: Apply your base shadow on the lid using a brush or sponge applicator.
- Step 2: Using a mild coloured eye shadow, create a loop along the base of the lid above the lash and into the eye socket.
- Step 3: Apply the darkest shadow colour along the edge of the lash.
- Step 4: Blend till all of them soften.
- Step 5: Now apply eyeliner on the upper and lower lid.
There are many more wondrous ways that will help you to apply makeup properly. If you are in doubt anytime, use this tips and tricks!